Sunday, January 10, 2010

Goals, Goals, Goals

I'm in goal setting mode right now and it feels great. Hopefully I'll still be feeling great and adjusting goals and setting new ones a month from now too...and again in 3 months...6 months...etc.

I have a whole list of things I want to work on and do. Some have due dates, some are on the back burner. I find it's best not to try to attack too much at once and to be realistic about what you can accomplish. I'm not always very good at that though and have been known to bring on too much at once only to burn myself out and not get very far on any one thing. So I guess you could say that good, positive goal setting is in itself a goal of mine along with reflecting on where I'm out, how I'm doing, and what God is calling me to. It's pretty easy to focus in on my task lists and forget the last part, which is by far the most important.

So here are a few things I'm working on now:
1. The 25 lb weight challenge that Marc and I started at the beginning of last year. I have lost 17.2 lbs so far!! So my first goal is to lose the remaining 7.8 lbs. Some other goals I have in mind are to have a 6 pack once in my life and be able to do pull-ups. :) I've always wanted to do these things! For now though, I'm focusing on the weight loss. Of course, I can work on the other two things alongside it, but my focus will remaining on the challenge.
2. Budgetting! I'm trying to move my budgeting to more of a monthly model rather than a weekly model. I get paid every week and have gotten pretty good about budgeting my week's worth of money, but if I move to a monthly model I may see a bigger picture and notice some trends of spending that I'm not aware of. Hopefully it will allow me to cut back on spending a little bit.
3. Becoming debt free. I'm sooooo close! I just have the very end of my student loans to tackle. Some goals I have in mind next: getting health insurance and getting rid of my credit cards. I should do these things now, but I'm never had health insurance and feel no rush. And as far as the credit cards go, it does make me a little nervous. However, getting an annual fee for one of them when I don't really use them made me think that it needs to happen sooner than later. I also want to look into different banking and car insurance options this year so see where else I might be able to save money.
4. Practice reflecting and meditating. I'm not always very deep and I get distracted so very easily. I'm using a book called the Better Part that a few friends of mine have recommended to help me out with this. So far I'm absolutely loving it and finding it very fruitful. I look forward to my time in prayer each day so much more.

I have a ton of other goals, but I won't share them all now. Please keep me in your prayers to form better habits. You are all in mine and I pray that you will have a blessed month and year!

1 comment:

Britta said...

Don't get rid of your credit cards unless they have annual fees! It's better for you to just buy a pack of gum and pay it off each month than get rid of the cards. You're credit score will go down.