Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Becoming a Snyder: How We Met

Marc and I met March 8, 2008. I know this because it is my brother-in-law's birthday, which plays a role in this story.

Marc had recently moved into an apartment in Ballard with his older brother Greg and his best friend Phil. I knew Phil from the Catholic Campus Ministry at Western. We were briefly neighbors before I moved back home. I also knew Greg. We had met a year and a half earlier on Catholic Match and hung out often for about 4 months before he moved to Spokane.

Note: You never know how these online sites are going to work! Maybe I should write a "success story" for CM :)

Prior to the guys moving in together I had never met Marc. I had, however, browsed his myspace page that I found on Phil's profile. Totally normal when you are hanging with a guy from CM to check out his brother's myspace...right?

Once the guys had all moved in together, both Phil and Greg invited my friend Britta and I over to see the new place.. Just the two of them were home when we arrived. I'm not really sure why, but Britta and I stayed there to watch Top Gun while the guys went to run errands for their new place after lunch. Britta had never seen Top Gun before so it was kind of a big deal.

Enter Perry's birthday... I was supposed to get back down to Federal Way for dinner with my family and some of Perry's friends that evening. The guys finally got back home along with Marc with about 20-30 minutes left in the movie. I remember noting that Marc was taller than Greg, but skinnier and went back to watching the movie. I really needed to head out, but didn't want Britta to miss the end of the movie. How can you leave with out Maverick re-engaging the first time you see it!? I asked if Britta could take the movie home.

Note: Marc claims he does not remember any of this.

The movie belonged to Marc and he said no. Apparently he wasn't comfortable with Top Gun leaving with two girls he didn't know. I, being a negotiator and a bit pushy, tried to assure Marc that Britta would take good care of it and we would return it in a timely manner. He didn't go for it. I was a little annoyed and being in a rush, I'm sure I wasn't using my top notch manners for meeting someone.

I was pretty sure Marc did not like me. He seemed ok, but I didn't have much of an opinion about him as he was pretty quiet. I did not enjoy the fact that he wouldn't let us borrow Top Gun though, but it was not completely unreasonable and thus I did not hold it against him.

I may still give him a hard time about it though... :)

No comments: