Friday, July 31, 2009

7 Quick Takes - Vol. 4


1. When it comes to working out, I rather enjoy this heat. I've been sweating like no other in my work outs this week and it feels so amazing. Unless I'm sweating, I don't feel like I'm working out. Love it! Yea for hot weather! The flip side is that while I'm not working out, I find myself munching to distract myself from the heat. BAD!

2. I've really enjoyed going to more and more parks this year while nannying. It's so nice to have so many so close, but it's also a bit discouraging at times. Sadly from time-to-time I run into things I would rather not have the kids be around. I've had to break up a fight, stop kids from swearing and calling each other inappropriate names, and for the first time this week, I was called a four letter word by another mom (I was accused of staring at her. I had glasses on so I'm not really sure how she knew what I was looking at, never mind the fact that the playground was behind her). It seems like kids are not given many expectations anymore for how to behave and when they are, they are not nearly high enough. Children will rise to our expectations and we rob them of so much growth by selling them short. I wish adults would also place higher expectations on themselves and realize the kind of example they are setting.

I know I'm preaching to the choir because those of you who read this aren't name calling at the park, etc. I just needed a moment to vent!

3. Welcome home from Kenya, Brita! It was nice to see Brita and a lot of familiar face this Wednesday. Our young adult women's group changes things up on the last Wed. of every month and hangs out with the guys too. Not only do we have the obvious addition of guys, but we usually have married couples join us (it might have a little something to do with the free daycare...) . This week we had a BBQ and ice cream sandwiches. We were supposed to play softball too, but with the heat, most people thought it would be a bit much. Maybe next time! Next week is just the girls again...possible bonfire back at my house. I have to figure out if we can work around the fire bands. Either way, there will be s'mores and probably some ladder golf! Come join us!

4. A string of weddings is approaching! Christian and Caroline, Mike and Julianna, Andrew and Daniella, Jeremy and Ricki....I can't wait! I'm starting to feel in wedding mode too because I've been busy planning Julianna's bachelorette party this week. My quirkiness definitely comes out when I get to start planning and organizing. Let's just say I have a full google spreadsheet of notes for the bachelorette weekend....and it's color coded too. :) If only I could apply this same happy energy to cleaning and organizing my downstairs, life would be even better!

5. Georgia turned 2 yesterday! Happy Birthday! It's been so fun to watch her learn and grow. She is the only one of my nanny kiddos I have been with since birth. :) I love my job!

6. I spent time this evening in front of the Blessed Sacrament. I've been blessed enough to make it to Adoration twice this week. It never ceases to amaze me how overwhelming the feeling of peace is when you sit face-to-face with Jesus. I can literally feel it in the air. The second you walk in the room, whether you can see Him or not, you know something is different. The Eucharist is such a beautiful gift that speaks so clearly of the love Jesus has for each one of us. I pray that every heart in the world will burn for Jesus.

7. My summer of playing games continues. Marc just kicked my behind in darts. We played four games and he won all four. I'm pretty competitive and do NOT like losing. And still, I really enjoy spending time chatting and playing games. I did get my fair share of winning in Banagrams last night too! Who wants to have a game night soon? :) I'll play anything...except Halo. And even then you might just be able to convince me.

No comments: