Friday, July 10, 2009

7 Quick Takes - Vol. 1

It's official. I'm playing quick takes Friday. :) My goal: to actually keep it quick! ..and to actually post on Fridays.


1. Happy belated 4th of July! I love the 4th of July and felt a special need to celebrate our country this year. And I mean I really wanted to authentically celebrate this year, not just do any 'ol 4th of July party. I'm not entirely to pleased with a lot of things going on right now, but I do believe in what our country stands for and the more we remember that the better off we will be as it helps us to get back on track. So this is what my day looked like: Mass, protest at planned parenthood (it was the first Saturday of the month anyways, but I absolutely loved that it fell on the 4th of July so that we could stand up for the freedom not just of some, but for ALL), a couple of hours with Marc, BBQ at my cousins house (and I'm talking BBQ...5 different kinds of meat on the grill for over 4 hours!!), and a get together at the St. Hilaire's! We watched their pyrotech neighboors fireworks, the show in Bremerton, and could also see the Gasworks fireworks all from their house. Mostly I had a great day because I spent it with my amazing family and friends who I value and share values in common with (I did miss the Seattle group though!). (And PS...here I go not making it quick....I now want a wii and wii fit :) so fun!)

2. Christopher West was in town Tuesday night to speak on the Theology of the Body. This is a theology that is near and dear to my heart and I do not believe I would be where I am in my faith or my life if it were not for these teachings given by Pope John Paul II that I first came into contact with my junior year in college. Thank you, Lord! It was a really fun night and inspired me to start digging in deeper again with that subject. I bought two books: Theology of the Body Explained and Heaven's Song: Sexual Love as it was Meant to Be. I'm currently having a hard time putting down the latter and am thus neglecting all the other books I'm in the middle of reading. It's so beautiful!

3. Wednesday night after a really fun women's group dinner out, I stopped at the D'Angelo's house to catch up. I was amazed when they showed me this video Mrs. D'Angelo's cousin Danny made with Patrick and his two boys. Professional!! It's really them singing and playing. So cool! ...bummer! It's not on you tube, just facebook. Sooo, if you happen to be on facebook, you should look at my profile and watch the video. :) It's the song Lovebug by the Jonas Brothers...now done by the "Bonus Brothers." So cute!

4. I turned 26 on Thursday, July 9th! Thank you Lord for a wonderful 25 years. I am so blessed! And for that, I must also thank all of you who are in my life. Thank you! Thank you! I have so many amazing people in my life to keep me on track, hold me accountable, encourage me, and to live life to the fullest with! We had a great family dinner at my house w/ Marc and Julianna, two of my closest friends. It was great to spend time together and my mom made Delicious homemade calzones and a peach berry cobbler. I guess at 26 I'm still spoiled. My nanny families also had cards, cupcakes, and of course, sang me happy birthday and gave me lots of hugs both yesterday and today! :) (And oh, Marc put my ladder golf game together! We started working on it last summer right before his three trip series to the ER with sore throats. It never got finished. It is now! It was a great addition to my day! You should come over and play with me.)

5. I got to work out at home this evening with out having to give up the intensity of not having all of the gym at my disposal. Marc has cleaned up my old work out bench, put it back together, and since we found a bar and some weights on the side of the street for free a few months back, it actually make sense to use it! (I got the bench my freshman or sophomore year in high school for Christmas because I wanted to bench at home and I never got a stinkin' bar to go with it!! I know.) I also got some 15 lb dumbbells for my birthday from my parents. Thanks Mom and Dad! And thank you Marc for doing so much for me!! Ultimately I would like to get rid of the gym and not have to pay to work out. I feel like I'm on my way to that goal! And as a quick BfL Update, this has been my best week. I feel on track, in the groove, and my body is feeling a bit back to normal. My eating has also been much better this week! Next week's focus: get enough sleep!?

6. I'm excited to go out to Planned Parenthood tomorrow morning in Federal Way to protest again. Tom Curran is getting a group together because they are testing out new equipment to web cast prayer vigils on Saturdays. Last week was their first test run with the St. Vincent's group in Federal Way and Blessed Sacrament in Seattle. I know they are doing this for several reasons, but I like it best because it gives interested people on opportunity to check out protests/prayer vigils who are a bit nervous about going out for the first time because they don't know what to expect.

7. Marc and I bought tickets to DC today! We will be going over there in January for March for Life. Anyone want to join us? Tickets are cheap right now! We will be staying with one of very good friends from way back in first grade who lives in Virginia. I can't offer you the same housing arrangements, but we would love more marching/traveling buddies!! I'm really excited to finally get to go to a DC March. There was over 300,000 people there last year - incredible! I'm also super excited to visit Jill since she is way across the country and I don't see her nearly enough. I've been trying to come up with ways to visit her for awhile now. I'm a big fan of trips with multiple destinations/purposes. This time it's finally working out!

No comments: